"Someone to watch over me"
You get dealt a hand and then watch and wait a bit to see what else life's going to deal you. Then you throw away some cards and hang on to others until slowly a pattern emerges and you realize what kind of hand you've been dealt and soon you're beyond that point in the game where you could change course and decide to build another kind of hand and play another kind of game. What you were dealt with and what choices you have made up to that point of no return eventually lead to an inevitable conclusion that can't be changed.
After I wrote that, I realized that it had been said before and that that analogy had probably been better used in countless poems and country songs. I long ago realized that I could never think an original thought mostly because I'm too cautious and/or lazy and pleasure-loving. I'm very lucky to be as blessed with earthly happiness as I am because I did not do much to get it.
When I was a kid living in a small fishing village in South Africa, us kids looked forward to going to the movies that were shown in the local library every Saturday night. I loved getting there early eventhough my parents didn't have enough money to give me to buy popcorn and a "cool-drink" as we called soda-pop. While the other kids waited in line for popcorn and coke, I would pick my favorite seat and sit back and watch the people as they came in and sat down.....and listen to the music.
The guy who showed the movies only had one "78 rpm record" (how many even know what that was?) with only a couple of tunes on each side which he flipped over several times before the movie. It was a collection of orchestral versions of the popular tunes of the Forties. On one side was a tune which I later discovered had the words, "Take me to you heart again." (Those are some of the English words to "La vie en rose," the song made famous by Edith Piaf.) On the other side was a tune which I later found out had the words "Someone to watch over me."
That was always the last tune to play as the lights went down and the rattle of the projector started up and it's been the tune that has played deep in my soul throughout my life which is why I am not an atheist eventhough I am not religious. I know I didn't make this world and it didn't just happen by accident unless you think such beauty and wonder are just random occurrences. No, it seems to obvious to me that this universe was made to be enjoyed by a creature made in the image of a playful and loving creator.
After I wrote that, I realized that it had been said before and that that analogy had probably been better used in countless poems and country songs. I long ago realized that I could never think an original thought mostly because I'm too cautious and/or lazy and pleasure-loving. I'm very lucky to be as blessed with earthly happiness as I am because I did not do much to get it.
When I was a kid living in a small fishing village in South Africa, us kids looked forward to going to the movies that were shown in the local library every Saturday night. I loved getting there early eventhough my parents didn't have enough money to give me to buy popcorn and a "cool-drink" as we called soda-pop. While the other kids waited in line for popcorn and coke, I would pick my favorite seat and sit back and watch the people as they came in and sat down.....and listen to the music.
The guy who showed the movies only had one "78 rpm record" (how many even know what that was?) with only a couple of tunes on each side which he flipped over several times before the movie. It was a collection of orchestral versions of the popular tunes of the Forties. On one side was a tune which I later discovered had the words, "Take me to you heart again." (Those are some of the English words to "La vie en rose," the song made famous by Edith Piaf.) On the other side was a tune which I later found out had the words "Someone to watch over me."
That was always the last tune to play as the lights went down and the rattle of the projector started up and it's been the tune that has played deep in my soul throughout my life which is why I am not an atheist eventhough I am not religious. I know I didn't make this world and it didn't just happen by accident unless you think such beauty and wonder are just random occurrences. No, it seems to obvious to me that this universe was made to be enjoyed by a creature made in the image of a playful and loving creator.














The Alliance
<< Home