Friday, September 19, 2008

My trailer park crisis

We already had an appointment to take all the dogs to the vet for their rabies and other shots and heartworm tests this morning. Then Digby, the big dog, rolled in something dead or disgusting and there was not enough time to wash him. (Of course he thought he smelled terrific and was swaggering around like a gigolo wearing cheap cologne.) No way was I going to have that stinky pooch in a vehicle with me. So we had to leave him behind and reschedule his shots. It cost $330 just for the two little dogs. That's as much as a human doctor visit!

That was all before I had to go into the office at the the trailer park this morning. It was not so much an emergency as a crisis - something that has been building for a while.

I employ a couple, who are tenants in the park, to clean the public restrooms and laundry every day and assemble the garbage twice a week. They are also supposed to keep an eye on the park when I'm not there and phone me if anything goes wrong such as an electricity outage or water leak etc.

Both of them were heroin addicts many years ago but have been totally trustworthy in the five years that I have employed them. However, in the past month I have noticed some odd behavior in the wife. She always was rather nuts but recently she has been particularly manic. I began to suspect that she was using meth. Then money disappeared from the till and the coin-op showers were broken into and the money stolen. Other tenants began complaining that their mail had been opened.

Yesterday it became obvious that the wife was "tweaking" on meth. I woke up in the middle of the night last night and, in that twilight zone halfway between sleeping and being awake, it suddenly all became clear to me that the writing had been on the wall for months but I had ignored it because I felt sorry for her.

So today we had to change the locks on the office door and I had to hire someone else to do the work. I was not able to fire her today because she was "crashed out" after two days of "tweaking." On Monday I will formally fire her. I will also be informing the police about her drug taking and suspected theft. Maybe she'll get some help in prison.

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn what happens to her. I have zero sympathy for adult drug addicts and, if it was legal, I'd take them to the vet to be put down like mad dogs even if it cost $330.