Sunday, June 15, 2008

Politics - passion vs pragamatism

To me politics is all about compromise, being practical and achieving what is possible.

I'm not saying that we don't need passionate people like Jefferson and Reagan to inspire us but they're unique and only come along now and then. The rest of the time us ordinary mediocrities muddle through as best we can.

McCain is not a visionary like Jefferson or a grand orator like Reagan but he is a very traditional Republican like Teddy Roosevelt, Coolidge, Eisenhower, Ford and Bush Sr (who are regarded as RINOs nowadays; some conservatives even think of Bush Jr as a RINO.) Reaganism and the domination of the GOP by religious conservatives was a 20 year blip in the 160 year history of the GOP.

Maybe the religious right will one day again dominate the party but I doubt it will ever be a permanent arrangement. The different factions within the GOP will always be vying for domination but, in the end, practical politics nearly always trumps the game. Maybe another Reagan will rise but even he will be again be a temporary anomaly and then we'll go back to be the party of ordinary middle-class mediocrities.

Look, I disagree with a lot of Mac's views (global warming blah blah etc) but he has a basically conservative character, is a patriot, and stands for what I regard as Republican first principles: strong defense, free markets, reasonable non-confiscatory taxation, states' rights and old-fashioned middle-class values.

So, to me, disliking Mac means disliking traditional Republicanism which I grant is messy and unsatisfying to ideologues. Religious conservatives and libertarians (and even Jeffersonian classical liberals like me) will never be totally happy with the GOP but most of us will be fairly content with the fact that the GOP is at least not radically leftist like the modern Democratic Party.

Right now the numbers are just not there for an ideological conservative or libertarian to win so, to me, McCain is the ideal candidate because I don't think we can beat Obama without moderate Democrats and independents. Not all of us are defeatists who believe that "it's a Democratic year." Some of us still want to win but it's hard when some team members are playing for the other side.

The sensible thing for ideologues to do right now is have a bit of patience and compromise. I'm not suggesting that people throw away their ideals. I'm just saying cool your criticism and bide your time. It's not your time right now. Your continual criticism simply demoralizes the rest of the team who want to make sure Obama does not get into the WH.

But, if you're not willing to be pragmatic and compromise your ideological passions just a little bit and just for a little while, why be a spoiler? Let the rest of us ordinary mediocre, non-ideological Republicans try to win please. And if you feel that the GOP no longer represents your views at all, then conservatives could join the Constitution Party and libertarians could support Bob Barr.

Meanwhile my buddy, Chas, chimes in on the discussion: What it means to me, to be Republican.