Sunday, July 02, 2006

Sunday pictures - South African lilies

No poem today - I just can't think of one that I have not already posted and I don't feel like posting a lousy poem just for the sake of posting one - but here are the pics. Oh, all right - here's a nursery rhyme that we all know from childhood:

Scintillate, scintillate globule vivific.
Fain would I know of your nature specific;
Loftily poised in the ether capacious;
Strongly resembling a gem carbonaceous.


I've been posting pics of South African lilies over the past few weeks because many of them start blooming in late Spring and just keep flowering till Fall. I used to grow most of these in California. I brought many of my bulbs from California and I've started collecting those that I did not bring and growing them here in Oregon too. Many of them have naturalized on the West Coast and some of the locals even think that they are native plants. I've posted pics of most of these South African lilies over the past year or so but I want to catalogue them all in one place. These are some of the best-known South African lilies:

Agapanthus


















Amaryllis aka Naked Lady


















Babiana aka Baboon Flower


















Bulbinella


















Clivia aka Kafir Lily














Crocosmia aka Montbretia


















Dierama aka Fairy Wand













Dietes aka Fortnight Lily














Freesia














Gladiolus aka Sword lily

















Ixia aka Corn Lily


















Kniphofia aka Red Hot Poker














Lachenalia aka Cape Cowslip


















Lapeirousia
















Lycoris aka Spider Lily














Nerine

















Ornithogalum aka Chincherinchee














Schizostylis


















Sparaxis aka Harlequin Flower


















Tritonia aka Flame Freesia


















Tulbaghia aka Society Garlic














Veltheimia


















Watsonia


















Zantedeschia aka Calla Lily