Western liberalism vs communism, terrorism and illegal immigration
Whether you call yourself conservative or progressive in the West, you're still an old-fashioned classical liberal. Until American communists stole the word liberal in the 1930s, the West was culturally liberal; meaning that we were basically easy-going, tolerant, live and let live and relied on the free market aka lassez-faire capitalism to provide for us.
The West tolerated the rise of the USSR which was an obviously intolerant and totalitarian regime mostly because Fifth Columnist communists in the West were already in control of the MSM by the time of Lenin. And we not only tolerated Stalin but Hitler and Hirohito - only until it became obvious that they were a danger to our freedom. We also tolerated the rise of Islamofascism for decades before they finally used terrorism on US soil.
The lassez-faire attitude to immigration never seemed to cause any problems until recently - there were no bombs. So we tolerated illegal immigration for decades. The US/Mexico border has pretty much always been porous.
When I arrived in the USA, I was surprised at the great of number of illegal immigrants; mostly Mexican but plenty of other Latinos as well as Irish, Russian and Chinese. I figured that Americans tolerated such "informal immigration" because that had been the way since the first settlers.
It's not easy being a classical liberal. You know your tolerance can be mistaken for weakness. But there is a balance. That's why I call myself a conservative liberal not a libertarian or progressive liberal. I don't like authoritarianism but I do like a bit of law and order.
And the border is becoming a war zone.
The West tolerated the rise of the USSR which was an obviously intolerant and totalitarian regime mostly because Fifth Columnist communists in the West were already in control of the MSM by the time of Lenin. And we not only tolerated Stalin but Hitler and Hirohito - only until it became obvious that they were a danger to our freedom. We also tolerated the rise of Islamofascism for decades before they finally used terrorism on US soil.
The lassez-faire attitude to immigration never seemed to cause any problems until recently - there were no bombs. So we tolerated illegal immigration for decades. The US/Mexico border has pretty much always been porous.
When I arrived in the USA, I was surprised at the great of number of illegal immigrants; mostly Mexican but plenty of other Latinos as well as Irish, Russian and Chinese. I figured that Americans tolerated such "informal immigration" because that had been the way since the first settlers.
It's not easy being a classical liberal. You know your tolerance can be mistaken for weakness. But there is a balance. That's why I call myself a conservative liberal not a libertarian or progressive liberal. I don't like authoritarianism but I do like a bit of law and order.
And the border is becoming a war zone.














The Alliance
<< Home