Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Mansions in the middle of nowhere

I liked these two:
Southways, Lake Minnetonka, Minn. $53 million

This historic, 40,000-square-foot home on 13 Minnesota acres dramatically outprices even the most expensive homes in the region, which may explain why it hasn't sold in more than two years on the market. Built in 1918, the nine-bedroom estate also has a greenhouse, a pool complex, a smoke room, a teahouse and lake views.

















Medway Plantation, Charleston, S.C. $22 million

This Southern landmark has a price to rival Manhattan townhouses and Bel Air mansions, but is tucked into genteel Charleston. The six-bedroom, 18th-century home sits on nearly 7,000 lush acres, and has 10-foot ceilings, cypress-paneled walls and a professional kitchen. Outside the residence you'll find seven guest and staff homes, indoor and outdoor pools, a marina, a lodge, a stable, a greenhouse, traditional gardens and 13 lakes.















The land is lovely but one is too cold in winter and the other too hot in summer so you have to stay indoors half the year. And so much house means too many servants and too little privacy. Nooo - I don't have sour grapes. I like my double-wide in paradise.