Thursday, May 27, 2010

Weird and wonderful buildings

It's not just interiors like sitting rooms and dining rooms that interest me. I also enjoy whole buildings. Yep, when I was a teen, I wanted to be an architect but my dad got sick and we got poor and - well, my life took another direction.

I'm mostly interested in small buildings like houses. (I will start posting the house pics I've collected soon.) I've done many drawings in my life especially floor-plans and facades of my "perfect house." Big buildings are beyond my scope but I've collected pictures of all sorts of buildings for years - from the sublime to the ridiculous.

This is the Hindu temple, Akshardham Gandhinagar, in India. It is built in the traditional ancient Hindu style but was only completed in 1992. There are many wonderful temples and cathedrals but, no matter how beautiful, "houses of God" give me the creeps.















Everybody knows the Opera House in Sydney. It was way ahead of its time in the "weird and wonderful" category when it was designed by the Danish architect, Jørn Utzon, in 1957.















This is the new London City Hall. The actual city of London is only one square mile and much of it was destroyed by German bombing during WWll and very few old buildings survived. (Christopher Wren's 1697 St Paul's Cathedral was only damaged not levelled.)

















This is the City Hall in San Jose south of San Francisco.















The European Parliament building in Strasbourg, France.




















The Scottish Parliament building in Edinburgh - which did not exist when I lived there 40 years ago. This building looks like a prison to me - maybe because the Scottish Parliament is controlled by Marxists.













The Central Library in Seattle.















The next two are more whimsical than weird and wonderful.

A hotel in Bratislava,Slovakia.

















A hotel in Elciego, Spain.














I did not always take detailed notes of pictures that I saved. All I know is that this building is in Yemen and may be the palace of some sheik.






















And from the sublimely beautiful to the ridiculously ugly: The Fortress Storage building in Boston, Massachusetts.

Labels: