Phalaenopsis - Butterfly orchid
My sister emailed me:
I was given a Phalaenopsis - Butterfly orchid. Please ask Andy how I should look after it as I would hate it to lose it.I emailed her what Andy (our resident orchid specialist) told me. After I'd typed it up, I thought maybe others who've been given orchids but don't know much about them could use Andy's tips too. So here they are:
Soak the whole plant in its pot in a basin of water once a week. Use rain water or distilled water or boil the water to get rid of the chlorine. Every two weeks add fertilizer to the water that you soak it in. Use orchid fertilizer but only use one quarter of the recommended dose. Use the remaining fertilizer water on your other flowering plants. Never get any water in the crown (where the leaves meet the stem.) It will kill it. Place in an east-facing window. They prefer morning sunlight and do not like afternoon sun.














The Alliance
<< Home