Thursday, January 31, 2008

Getting politics in proportion: lemonade out of lemons

Fred Thompson's run for the Presidency got me fired up in a way that hasn't happened since I turned 18 and could vote and campaign for my local anti-apartheid Member of Parliament in South Africa. My failure to help get rid of apartheid made me politically pessimistic and, for many years after that, I was apolitical.

When I went to live in the UK, British politics almost turned me into a skeptic. It seemed that the choice was between the hardcore working-class socialism of the Labor Party and the noblesse oblige socialism-lite of the Tories. When I arrived in the USA, Carter was in the WH and I almost despaired and became cynical.

Then Reagan arrived on the scene. I was not yet a US citizen and could not vote for him but he talked my kind of language and he gave me hope again. When I became a citizen, I was excited to register as a Republican but my enthusiasm was soon dashed by Bush Sr and I could not bring myself to vote for his second term. I was hoodwinked by Bill Clinton's fake cheerfulness and voted for him.

Please don't hold that against me. I was naive. It didn't take me long to realize that I had made a terrible mistake. Bush Sr was uninspiring but at least he didn't shag the employees in the WH and he was a decent man not a mentally twisted malignant narcissist and liar like Clinton. By the time that Clinton's second term was over, I had realized that ANY Republican was better than ANY Democrat.

However I could not bring myself to vote for Bush Jr in 2000 and I sat out the election. Thank goodness my one non-vote didn't count and Bush won. Needless to say, I voted for him enthusiastically in 2004 and, while I haven't liked many of his ideas, I have come to not expect too much from a President.

That was until Fred came along and turned me into a starry-eyed idealist again. But it was too good to be true and, well, it's back down to earth and getting politics in proportion once again; not expecting much from politicians (especially Presidents) and remembering that ANY Republican is better than ANY Democrat.

There is very little difference between the political philosophies of Romney, McCain and Huckabee. They are all moderates. They are all statists who believe that government is the solution not the problem. So my choice is based mostly on character.

Romney seems to me to be a decent man, a gentleman, a loyal husband and a loving father. I will gladly campaign for Romney. I despise Huckabee. He is a liar, crook and weasel. Huckabee can go to hell as far as I'm concerned. Fortunately he is finished except as McCain's ally in stealing votes from Romney. McCain is a vain and conceited man and I will not campaign for McCain but, if he is the nominee, I will vote for him. However he will not be the nominee because I don't think Americans are ready for another Nixon.

The main thing for me is keeping government in gridlock. That way it can do the least harm. The less government can function the better. Our Founders knew this and wrote a pretty convoluted Constitution designed to stymie vain and conceited politicians and their ambitious projects.

I will therefore always vote for the opposition and the opposition will probably always be the GOP considering that there are more Democrats and that the USA, sadly, is moving leftward. The GOP and its politicians may not be perfect but at least they aren't total commies. Just think of what kinds of people call themselves Democrats - yep, MoveOn, Soros, Cindy Sheehan, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Dennis Kucinich. Oh, you get the picture.

My vote will go to whomever opposes these maggots munching on the corpse of the civilization that they have killed.

I'm not complaining by any means. I live a very blessed life and have just had a delicious dinner: sock-eye salmon from Alaska, asparagus from Chile with vermicelli and a pesto sauce from Italy all washed down with a delicious Oregon chardonnay.

And, thanks to another cut in the Fed's interest rate, I've negotiated a sweet mortgage of 6% fixed for the motel that I am going to buy.

As long as there's a anti-MoveOn Republican in the WH, and God's in His Heaven then all's well on earth - even if most of the trees are lemons. I've made so much lemonade out of lemons in life that I could make a fortune selling it at 50 cents a glass.