Friday, April 13, 2007

Definition of "conservative"

Glen Dean posted this yesterday: Conservatism Defined By Glen
I have always considered myself to be a conservative. As early as I can remember, I was interested in politics. I was ten years old when Ronald Reagan was elected in a landslide. During my teen years, I was probably the only kid in my school that had a subscription to National Review. I became a huge fan of William F. Buckley and my favorite show was Crossfire, which featured Patrick Buchanan.

So what is my definition of the word conservative?

My definition of the word conservative is almost synonymous with the classical definition of the word liberal. As much as a I criticize people today who call themselves liberal, I actually consider myself to be one. Not only that, but I consider modern liberals to really not be that liberal at all. By calling myself conservative or libertarian (more on that word later), I am simply giving in to the fact that over the last century, certain words have taken on different meanings.

I couldn't agree more. Reading Glen's essay, you see that he is a libertarian conservative (in fact he used to call his blog "Christian Libertarian") not a paleocon, neocon or theocon. Glen ended his essay by inviting some bloggers to give our definitions of "conservative" to which I responded: "Can I publish your post and pretend that it's mine? :)" Glen didn't give me permission to steal his essay so I guess I'll just have to write my own.

Like Glen, I believe that real conservatives are actually "classical liberals" like our Founders who were inspired by John Locke and Adam Smith but I also know that "conservatism" has other connotations nowadays some of which I don't agree with. I only use the word "conservative" to describe myself when I need to state my position quickly; as short-hand to let lefties know that I detest socialism and that I'm an old-fashioned flag-waving patriot and a gun-toting defender of the Second Amendment. But, other than that, I'm not really a true "conservative."

For as long as I have been aware of politics "conservative" (especially since Nixon) has meant "social conservative" more than Lockean small-government conservatism and Smithian free-market economics. I know plenty of "conservatives" who don't have any problem with big intrusive government and don't give a fig about free-market economics. Glen wrote, "In fact, many people who call themselves social conservatives share very little in common with me. I do not believe that government should enforce morality and pass laws that protect people from themselves." I agree with Glen but many "social conservatives" would disagree.

For instance "social conservatives" want a Constitutional Amendment banning gay marriage. I understand their concern but don't like amending the Constitution in such a way that it tells people what they cannot do so I definitely cannot call myself a "social conservative." My main objection to gay marriage (and a lot of other modern self-indulgent nonsense) is because it is a break with tradition. Maybe I should call myself a "traditionalist" rather than a "conservative."

First and foremost I am a Republican in the tradition of Jefferson's and Madison's "Republican Party" as well as the modern "Republican Party" of Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt. None of these former presidents would pass muster with the current crop of "conservatives" who dominate the right-wing blogosphere. They despise Bush for being soft on illegal immigration and now talk of boycotting the 2008 election if Fred Thompson does not get the nomination because, in their minds, Giuliani, McCain and Romney are RINOS.

Over the past year I've stopped reading dozens of so-called conservative blogs not only because they are boring Bush-bashing echo-chambers, but because they are radical extremists and definitely not traditional Republicans. Many of these "social conservatives" were formerly Democrats until Reagan and they haven't got a clue about the history and culture of the GOP. Unfortunately, starting with Reagan, the GOP has pandered to them and has almost ruined the party just in order to win elections. Sure we have to win but not at the cost of real GOP traditions. As far as I am concerned, our three front-runners (and Fred Thompson) are all traditional Republicans and I'll gladly vote for whomever wins the nomination even if I don't agree with them on everything.

So I guess, by today's definition of "conservative," I am not one.