Friday, August 18, 2006

The Druze

Yesterday morning at breakfast Chas, Andy and I were talking about Lebanon and I mentioned the Druze. They both knew that I'd been checking out the net a couple of weeks ago to see what I could find out about the Druze because I didn't have a clue who they were despite the fact that my eldest step-sister is married to a Lebanese Christian.

"So," said Andy; "who are the Druze?"

"I've got a few notes - enough to educate myself but I'll dig them up and post them on my blog so you can see."

Here's what I found out:

The Druze live primarily in Lebanon, but also have smaller communities in Israel, Syria, and Jordan. They mostly live in small villages scattered throughout the Chouf Mountains, which are part of the range known as Mount Lebanon or, in Syria, as Jabal al-Duruz (Mount of the Druzes.) They make up about 7% of the Lebanese population - about 300,000. There are 100,000 Druze in Israel and about 20,000 Druze live in the United States.

The Druze are a distinct religious community - an offshoot of Islam which was formed in the 11th century. The original Druze were also influenced by other religions and philosophies, including Christianty, Gnosticism and classical Greek philosophy. The Druze consider themselves a "reformed" Islamic sect but they are not considered Muslims by most Muslims in the Levant.

The Druze learned early on to keep their religious beliefs secret because of being regarded as pariahs by other Muslims. If they lived in a predominatly Muslim area, they went to the local mosque and behaved like Muslims. If they lived among Jews, they behaved like Jews. The Druze are cautious and wary because they were violently persecuted for centuries by other Muslims.

Unlike the "unreformed" Muslims, the Druze do not use the Koran as part of their religion and they do not practice polygamy. Not only do they not expect others to islam (submit) to their religion - as "unreformed" Muslims do - but they do not even accept converts.

I can't remember where I got this but I didn't write it:

The Druze played a major role in the Lebanese Civil War (1975–1990). They organized a militia (one of the strongest militias in the War) under the leadership of Walid Jumblatt, (son of Kamal Jumblatt), in opposition to the Maronite Christian Phalangist militia of Bachir Gemayel in the Mount Lebanon area (especially the Chouf) where the Druze militia were successful in winning the war. A peace treaty was then signed between the Druze and Maronite leaders which has enabled them to live peacefully together and later led to them becoming allies.

Israeli Druze also serve in the Israeli army, voluntarily since 1948, and — at the community's request — compulsorily since 1956. Their privileges and responsibilites are the same as Israeli Jews; thus, all Druze are drafted, but exemptions are given for religious students and for various other reasons.

In April 2006, the spiritual leader of the Druze community in Israel, Shaykh Mowafak Tarif, signed a declaration calling on all non-Jews in Israel to observe the Seven Noahide Laws as laid down in the Bible and expounded upon in Jewish tradition. The mayor of the Galilean and the city of Shfaram also signed the document [citation needed]. The declaration includes the commitment to make a "...better humane world based on the Seven Noahide Commandments and the values they represent commanded by the Creator to all mankind through Moses on Mount Sinai."


Radio announcer Casey Kasem was born Kamal Amin Kasem to Lebanese Druze immigrants to the USA.

I haven't checked out all of this site because I just found it: The Druze.

Pictures from top to bottom:

Casey Kasem.

Walid Jumblatt, the Druze leader who was known as "Warlord" Jumblatt during the Lebanese civil war and is now a member of the Lebanese parliament.

Jumblatt and the son of Prime Minister Rafic Hariri (who was probably assassinated by the Syrians.) Hariri Junior today denounced the Israelis out of either political opportunistism or fear of the Hizballah. No wonder Jumblatt doesn't look too happy.

The last two pics are of Mount Lebanon and the Bechaa Valley (in summer and winter) where most of the Druze live . Lebanon is a lot like southern California: same latitude; similar climate and geography - mountains close to the coast.